With an extensive trial résumé, Brian centers his practice on the defense of transportation liability claims involving large commercial vehicles, insurance coverage litigation and medical negligence cases. Brian has litigated cases to verdict in many state and federal courts in North Carolina and has handled appeals in both state and federal appellate courts. His trial experience also includes products liability, construction liability and premises liability cases. Brian is certified by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission to conduct mediated settlement conferences in Superior Court cases. He is available to conduct mediations in most North Carolina counties.
Brian has held important leadership positions within the Bar and is well-connected with many lawyers and judges throughout the state. In particular, Brian served as president of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys in 2008-2009 and is a member of the elite International Association of Defense Counsel. He holds a BV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell. Brian’s hobbies include traveling, college and professional sports and sailing.
Education & Bar Admissions
- J.D., North Carolina Central University School of Law, 1995
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1992
- North Carolina, 1995
- U.S. District Courts for North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
Awards & Achievements
- Listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers®, 2010-2015
- Recognized by the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals for Excellence in the field of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Professional & Civic Activity
- N.C. Association of Defense Attorneys
- N.C. Bar Association
- Board of Governors, 2001-2004
- Tenth Judicial District Bar
- Wake County Bar Association
- President Elect, 2015
- Board of Directors, 2008-2009
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- North Carolina State Representative
- National Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Tort and Insurance Practice
- “Big” – Big Brothers / Big Sisters of the Triangle
- Uplift Project, Inc, board member
- Progressive American Ins. Co. v. State Farm Mut. Automobile Ins. Co., 184 N.C. App.688, 647 S.E.2d 111 (2007).
- Rivenbark v. North Carolina Farm Bur. Mut. Ins. Co., Inc., 155 N.C. App. 777, 574 S.E.2d 715 (2003).
- Penn America Ins. Co. v. Valade, 28 Fed. Appx. 253 (4th Cir., 2002).
- Dowless v. Kroger Co., 148 N.C. App. 168, 557 S.E.2d 607 (2001).
- Herring v. Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Bd. of Educ., 352 N.C. 673, 545 S.E.2d 423 (2000).
- Dukes v. Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Bd. of Educ., 351 N.C. 102, 540 S.E.2d 357 (1999).
- Osburn v. Danek Medical, Inc., 352 N.C. 143, 530 S.E. 2d 54 (2000).
- Griffen v. Lopez, 630 S.E. 2d 742 (N.C. App., 2006).
Disclaimer: The above information may not necessarily reflect the attorney’s entire record, and the outcome of any particular future matter cannot be predicated on the attorney’s or law firm’s past results.